Re: [DMCForum] Re: 3,000 RPM (Martin Gutkowski)

content22207 wrote:

> Oops. Could there be some mitigation in that altitude rose a couple
> hundred feet over the trip?

Not quite sure what you mean there.... FWIW I took her up to 110 a
couple of times with plenty more pedal left. So much for Road and
Track's top speed of 109... (mine has the Euro Volvo bits and no cat
tho). I was in a convoy of three D's at the time BTW.

> But you've got to admit -- DeLoreans are an absolute dream to drive at
> those speeds.

Yes, as long as the front end has been lowered. Otherwise they try and
take off.

> I think the car starts to float, which really reduces
> the effects of pavement imperfections. I've got a double whammy in
> that my engine is happier above 2,000 RPM than below it.

Mine fucking hates it below 2000rpm in any gear besides first. 3000+ and
it flies. I tend to stay in the lower gears and pull to the red line
often. And I'm still running a coil half-inched from a scrap Volvo 760
as a "temporary" replacement 2 years ago!

> I want to know where all the bitching & complaining about DeLorean
> performance comes from.

Easy. The figures. But graphs mean little at the end of the day. You
could probably show me countless cars with more power and torque than a
Lotus Carlton, but I could pretty much guarantee the LC would whip them
all. I think the Aussies (Holden) have been trying to beat it for years
with more powerful engines (for a road car) and AFAIK haven't yet
succeeded. Last count was a 410hp 4.2l corvette engine, I believe. The
LC has a twin turbo 3.6 strait 6 popping 377bhp. And that's in 2 tonnes
of car.

(yes, I like the LC, and jsut saw two today at the show I attended)

> I'm running a stock transmission, and smoke
> everything at a stop light. Can easily pass slow traffic, especially
> if I drop back to 4th. People give me a bunch of crap Re: K Jetronic,
> but from my driver's seat it isn't worth much. My Renault setup was
> nice, but honestly the carb is just as fast. If you come to DCS'06
> I'll let you take it for a spin (but you have to be nice until then).

Bill, I expect my car to be faster now and quite a bit faster by then.
Don't forget Eurofest too mate

Martin

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS