[DMCForum] Re: Carb Options (Dave Stragand)

[DMCForum] Re: Carb Options (Dave Stragand)

I'm very familiar with Edelbrock. Have two on my Lincolns. It is
indeed the Carter AFB, built by Weber ("Edelbrock" is just a red
sticker on the front. Manufacturer is cast into the side). It's an
extremely nice carb. Unfortunately it's a 4 barrel -- too much air
flow for a 171 inch engine (2.8 liter).

I'm running a Motorcraft 2150. Like the AFB it's a one piece casting
-- *HUGE* advantage over Holleys (which leak like sieves). The "power
valve" is really called by Ford something like "vacuum enrichment
valve", but no one knows what that means, so I just call it a "power
valve" so everyone will know what I'm talking about. Works the same
way, but is not interchangeable (neither are the jets, choke spring,
choke pulloff diaphragm, etc). All I did was fill an old one with JB
Weld, essentially turning it into a fat little bolt.

A lot of people confuse the Autolite/Motorcraft 2100/2150's with
Holley's 2 barrel. Top casting does look similar, but that's where the
similarity ends. Holley has a separate fuel bowl casting (hence the
leaks), whereas Motorcraft is integral. Holley jets are located
sideways (which can lead to fuel starvation at extreme inclines, rapid
acceleration, etc). Mine are located at the bottom of the bowl. My
jets are also easier to change -- only a straight blade screwdriver
necessary. My carb differs from the 1960's 2100 by adding a second set
of metering passages (the "high speed" circuit). Funny backwards
metering rod looking devices (bigger on the bottom than the top) are
raised by a cam on the throttle plate shaft, sealing off the
tradtional metering passages and opening the high speed ones. Work
like a charm -- I can rev to 6,000 RPM without a sweat (Ford added
those passages in the 1970's when little buzzy engines started
replacing the big blocks). My problem was the power valve, now resolved.

If anyone wants to experiment with carburetion, I can't recommend a
2150 highly enough. Now that I've removed the power valve from the
equation, the only possible thing to fail is the float! Oh, I do have
one check ball that seals off the idle circuit. If it ever gets glued
up, I can drop it out by simply unscrewing the retaining bracket for
my high speed rods (unlike a Rochester which has to be totally
disassembled). And I do have an accelerator pump, but every carb has
one of those (even the AFB). Mine is screwed into the side, so I don't
even need to unbolt the carb to change it.

I am curious how the throttle response is going to be with Jeff
Friday's intake manifolds. Im' afraid that big plenum may act like a
vacuum canister. My plenum is plenty huge (about 2 3/4" diameter), and
I used to think that it slowed throttle response, but what I was
actually feeling was that initial drop in the power valve (which in my
case was way to rich). Now, I can almost floor it straight from a
standstill (I can floor it straight from a standstill if I don't mind
that momentary lag until the fuel catches up -- need a slightly
stronger accelerator pump).

One of these days I need to sell my Renault block (or at least the
Euro K Jet). It's obvious that I'll never have more than one DeLorean,
and I'm sure as shootin' never going back to fuel injection. Speaking
only for myself (did you catch that, Marc?), it is the only way to drive.

Bill Robertson