[DMCForum] DELOREAN DOOR LOCK REMOVAL

Group,

I've been trying three days now to upload this to the
files section, but am having no luck.  I'm posting
this here for anyone who can use it.  Yahoogroups
won't allow the pictures to go through, so this is
just the writeup.  If you need pictures, I can email
them to you directly.  Best of luck.

Mike      1630      TPS

         HOW TO REMOVE OLD STYLE DOOR LOCKS

Tools needed:   small mechanics mirror
                flashlight
                two small right angle picks (Pic 1055)

1.  After you have removed to door panel and before
you do anything else,  PUT DUCK TAPE ON ALL THE SHARP
EDGES INSIDE THE DOOR!!!  I can't stress how important
this is---you "will" be donating blood if you don't,
because you will have to have both hands inside the
door at the same time.  This area is very small and
not much room to manuever.  (Pic 1054) is what the
lock looks like when mounted in the door and (Pic
1041) shows what you are trying to achieve---all
separated.

2.  Disconnect the rod that is attached to the white
plastic part on the back of the lock and move it to
the side.  Remove the white plastic piece by prying
off and and take a close look at it's backside. (Pic
1044)  You will notice it has 5 'tabs' that hold it to
the lock.  Notice they beveled on both sides for for
easy installation and removal.  Now lay it to the
side.  (Don't lose it)

3.  The lock is held in the door by three little
similar 'tabs' on the black plastic security ring that
look like small hooks. (Pic 1043---two wide ones and a
skinney one)  They are beveled on the top side for
easy insertion, but flat on the bottom so they 'lock'
into the security ring. (Pic 1051)  They can be pryed
up a little, but not too much or they will break.

4.  Okay, duck tape in place, right??  Now take one of
the right angle picks and get the pick under one of
the plastic tabs (Pic 1045---there are three total).
The 'tabs' only need to be raised about 1/16 to 1/8 of
an inch. (Pic 1046)  Once you have one of the 'tabs'
levered up, take a second pick and lever it under
another tab.

5.  Once you have both picks in place, insert your key
into the lock on the outside.  Using the key as a
lever, gently rock the lock fore and aft (do not twist
the key).  This will allow the 'tabs' to slip into the
second indentation ring. (Pic 1052)  If this doesn't
work, you will then need to get a third pick under the
third tab.

6.  Now you're halfway there, because the little
'tabs' are now seated in the second security ring.
(Pic 1048)  Repeat steps 4 & 5 to slip the 'tabs' out
of the second ring.  Once you are past the second
ring, to the third ring, (Pic 1053) the lock will come
out of the door with a slight twisting motion and you
will be able to remove the plastic security ring  from
the metal lock barrel.

7.  If rocking the lock with your key does not work,
then you will need to use a long screwdriver to push
outward on the lock from the inside.  Just remember,
take it slow and make sure the picks are under the
'tabs'.  The locks were designed to be installed with
no tools, but to be theft proof, in case someone has
decided they want to steal you car by removing the
locks.

8.  Installation is simple, in that all you need to do
is reverse the steps and when you push on the metal
barrel from outside, the 'tabs' will automatically
snap into place.  Snap on the white plastic piece and
hook up the locking rod.

9.  The first time I did this, it took me a couple
days by trial and error, because I didn't know how the
system was designed and I had to spend a lot of time
looking in that little mirror.  Now I can do the whole
job in about an hour.

Mike     1630      TPS