[DMCForum] Re: Need advice PLEASE

Well, I don't know your situation, so I'm in no position to try and
give you advice. After all, I'm not you. However, I might be able to
present an alternative view point for you.

Yes, the *sensable* thing might be to sell off your car. Because once
you graduate, you'll be pulling in beau-coup bucks to afford what ever
you want. So you'd only be putting off having your DeLorean for about
4-5 years, right? Probably not. One thing that your elder peers may
not be telling you, is that life doesn't always work out the way we
want. In fact, our dreams that we have about whate we're gonna do when
we grow up don't usually come to fruition for most.

Let's say you go to college. You don't plan on finding the special
someone, but you do, and you end up getting married to them. Once that
happens, you're priorities are gonna change completely. A down payment
on a house is gonna come before a project car. Likewise with baby
formula, your kids college fund, etc. If you were to sell the DeLorean
to pay for college, I wouldn't plan on getting another one for about
another 20 years or so. And that's assuming that even after you raise
your own kids, that your finances then don't become consumed by your
retirement fund.

Now that's assuming you live out the Suburban-American dream, and
everything you do is sucessful. Picture youself graduating college
with a degree in a field that no longer offers you any jobs. Or even
after all of your saving, you still don't have enough for college, so
you have to take out student loans. So once you graduate, you're gonna
remain in debt for years to pay off all your student loans. But it
doesn't have to end there. After all is said and done, you find out
that after all your studing and hard work, no one gives a rats ass
what your GPA was in the real world, and you discover that the manager
of a McDonalds who completed some company training programs is making
more money than you with your college degree. And they're debt free.
And then you realized that you pissed away years of your life... These
are the pitfalls of life, that a few people I know have encountered. I
bet you guidance counselor never warned you about these dangers, did they?

Now, there is of course an alternative here. Contrary to the popular
belief of the media, Corporate America can be your friend. Take my
employer for example. From start to finish, they will foot the bill
for their employees' college educations 100%, for any kind of a degree
available: AA, BS, MS, you name it. Their only requirements are that
you get good grades, and that you obtain a degree which is related to
the field which you work in, or is available within the company. In my
case this would be comp-sci, communications, etc. And many companies
will do this. They will invest in you as a person, because they know
that this will create a deep sense of loyalty between the both of you.
And in many cases as you'll find, you can even gain On the Job
Training, and expierince as well, that can very well substitute for a
college degree. Just take a look at some of the job postings online
for many salaried positions. Almost always when you see someone
requesting a degree for a certain position, it will have the loophole
of "Or Equivalent Experience." Street smarts are wholely seperate from
book smarts, and because a person with a degree doesn't guaranty that
they are the best qualified to handle a position, many corporations
realize this and have such an option out. Sure, a business degree is
nice, but a degree holder with no personality will fail, where as
someone who posseses a charming personality & past experience will
succeed.

Now, why have I written all this? Because you need to have an seperate
viewpoint presented to you. No, a 20 year old car may not be the best
choice for someone who needs *dependable transportation*. But you've
got the car now, so why not just see this thing thru and keep it? Many
people such as myself have been able to use DeLoreans as reliable
daily drivers, you can too. In fact, I'd strongly reccomend one over
some other ancient shit-box car out there. A DeLorean is no more
likely to break down, than any other car out there that's as old as
it. And hell, even some late model cars have more problems than a DMC.
But at least you know that you'd have passion to repair a DeLorean,
rather than some Ford Taurus, or other boring car. Plus face it, man.
You'll be driving a DeLorean!

Legal advice, I can't help you with. However, I can tell you that you
shouldn't made key life decisions like this when you're angry. Give it
some time, calm down, and think this over. If you choose to sell the
car, there is nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't want to carry
that kind of a grudge around for the rest of my life that "Dad screwed
me out of both my money, and forced me to sell my dream car." If you
part with the car, make certain that you do it on YOUR terms, and not
*because of someone else*.

Most importantly, this is your wake up call. It's time to put away
childish things. Close the toy box, and become an adult. When we grow
up and face decisions like this, it's not always easy. But the rewards
and pleasures that we can reap by maturely thinking thigs through, and
acting out our decisions are indeed great.

Good luck to you.

-Robert