[DMCForum] Re: Age old question....

What weight you use depends upon where you live at, because it's
dependant upon the outside ambient temperatures. If you're in a
temperate climate outside of the southwestern desert, and drive your
car rather gently, 10w30 should do you just fine. Anything harder than
a weekend cruiser, and I'd consider 10w40.

Some place like the desert where temperatures stay hot even at night,
the manual reccomends that you use a thicker oil, like 20w50.
Personally, I found that's too thick for me, and resorted to 15w40
here in the desert. Engine runs alot smoother now for me. But I ran my
car daily in stop & go traffic, shutting the engine off as I made
multiple stops, and I drive fast on the highway. Maybe if you were in
a really southern state like Texas, or south Florida, then you might
want to consider switching to something this thick.

Yes, alot of this is simply my opinion. But it's based off of both the
guidelines in the owner's manual, and my personal experience. Runing
the thicker oils, helps to keep my engine quieter, and running
smoother. BUT if you run too thick on oil, like that 20w50 in too cold
of an environment, and you can hear the engine strain when you try to
crank it over, and when you rev it. And then the oil becomes counter
productive to the engine. I would reccomend 20w50 only as a last resort.

-Robert