[DMCForum] Re: An appology.. (Bob Brandys)

[DMCForum] Re: An appology.. (Bob Brandys)

That is because the Pacer was designed from the inside out -- AMC
designed the passenger compartment, then engineered sheet metal around
it. Tremendous care was given to every aspect of occupant comfort.

And everyone should know AMC did not lose a penny on the Pacer. They
sold 355,000 of the things over a 5 year production run -- more than
enough to recover development costs. What killed the company (sucked
up all the development money) were the redesigned AMX/Javelin (93,000
units) and the fast back Matador (71,000 units). Contrast that to the
Gremlin (672,000 units sold)!

The Pacer did suffer a fatal flaw: it could not morph into anything
else (except perhaps the station wagon). Gremlin/Hornet (basically
same car) morphed into Spirit/Concord, thence into the various Eagles.
Even moreso, Gremlin incorporated a lot of 1968 AMX engineering
(that's why they handle like rockets on rails when swaybar equipped).
>From one bout of serious original engineering, AMC was able to produce
more than 2,346,000 automobiles. *THAT'S* how to successfully compete
against the Big 3.

Trivia for you: Chrysler used remaining members of the Pacer design
team to engineer the Neon platform -- notice common design philosophy.

Bill Robertson