[DMCForum] bent impact absorbers, Re: Tech Session...(Joe O'Brien)

[DMCForum] bent impact absorbers, Re: Tech Session...(Joe O'Brien)

http://www2.hypervolt.net:6809/photo-album-jeff/2005-05-
21_1944/medium/dsc00838.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/7ca3o

Here's a shot of the impact absorber before I removed it from the
car. Notice how the foam is missing almost all the way between the
turn signals. The car looks better now, I've removed all the old
parts, and after the new impact absorber arrives, I'll finish the
reassembly.

Here's some shots from last Saturday's tech session. Thanks for
documenting it Jeff.

http://www2.hypervolt.net:6809/photo-album-jeff/2005-05-
21_1944/index.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/dxafz

Later,

Joe O'Brien

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "twinenginedmc12"
<twinenginedmc12@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joe.
>
> It sounds like buying a replacement was the way to go.  I'm glad
you
> got a good deal.  Mine wasn't quite that messed up, and it
definitely
> doesn't look "good".
>
> Rick.
>
> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > I was about to attempt straightening it on the spot, but it was
so
> > badly damaged that the foam on each side of the turn signals
fell
> > clean off, and the middle was crumbled to pieces. Along with the
> > metal behind being bent, it looked like shit. I possibly could
have
> > glued,taped, and rebent it all back together. But good ol' Josh
> gave
> > me a good price on a used impact absorber, (since they don't
sell)
> > so it made it easier to just use one of his.
> >
> > When I stood it up to show the others how badly it was damaged
> after
> > I took it off, it fell into three pieces right there, it was
good
> > entertainment for all of us there as the running joke of the day
> was
> > when was I going to replace that bent absorber as it was such an
> > eyesore. Most knew I'm an anal perfectionist and teased me
> > repeatedly about how could I sand having an imperfect piece even
if
> > it is under the fascia. Guess I can tell everyone I finally did
> > replace it.
> >
> > Thanks for the advice anyway Rick, if it wasn't sooooo far gone
> > would have done a method similar to yours.
> >
> > Later,
> >
> > Joe O'Brien
> >

> > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "twinenginedmc12"
> > <twinenginedmc12@xxxx> wrote:
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > Bent impact absorbers can be straightened.  I did this to
mine.

> > > 1.  Removed it from car
> > >
> > > 2.  Cut notches in the foam near the ends, to allow placing
the
> > two
> > > ends of the aluminum tube part directly on top of a hard
anvil, I
> > > think I used two stacks of bricks. Kept the cut-out pieces.
> > >
> > > 3.  Smacked the aluminum part at the bend, with a sledgehammer
> > > several times, until the aluminum part was straight.  (I
> > originally
> > > tried this without cutting the notches in (2.)  It didn't
work.
> > The
> > > foam absorbed all the impact from the sledgehammer, surprise. )
> > >
> > > 4.  Reinstalled the cut-out pieces of foam with glued and duct
> > tape.
> > >
> > > Other than the duct tape, you'd never know it had been bent.

> [...]
Stragand/Plakosh