Re: [DMCForum] Catalytic Converter Thread From DML (Marc)

Re: [DMCForum] Catalytic Converter Thread From DML (Marc)

> By "harmful driving habits" I meant "American dependence on automobile
> transportation and the kinds of trips taken therein". Gues I wasn't
> clear (Martin Alert! Martin Alert!).

I took this to mean actually turning corners once in a while. At speeds
greater than 20mph.

> For true power, such as
> towing, there indeed is "no replacement for displacement"

Oh okay Bill *pats head* - so super and turbochargers do absolutely
nothing to increase torque? I towed a 2 tonne trailer back from Germany
with my 2 litre turbo diesel.

> You'll be happy to know the Lincolns are moth-balled until I am again
> employed (to save insurance costs). And when they are re-activated, I
> will still consume less fuel than a Prius owner driving 60 plus miles
> each way to work in urban squalor!

Actually the whole hybrid concept is flawed from the word go. They're
less economical than a good modern diesel, and a damn sight less
pleasant to drive. All they do is reduce emissions at slow speeds (ie
stuck in traffic).

> > I am no so noble as to always do what is "right" as
> > far as automotive emissions, but it is irresponsible
> > to advocate a DeLorean owner to make modifications
> > such that they will pollute more.

I'd just like to acknowledge my reply to this comment which isn't
Bill's. Cars produced in 1981 in Europe were not cat equipeed and
therefore can be removed legally. I've read some interesting research
about the emissions from producing new cars being equivalent to a 20
year old car doing 200,000 miles in those 20 years with no emissions
controls.

Martin