From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of twinenginedmc12
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 11:14 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] bent impact absorbers, Re: Tech Session...(Joe
O'Brien)

Hello.

Bent impact absorbers can be straightened.  I did this to mine.

1.  Removed it from car

2.  Cut notches in the foam near the ends, to allow placing the two
ends of the aluminum tube part directly on top of a hard anvil, I
think I used two stacks of bricks. Kept the cut-out pieces.

3.  Smacked the aluminum part at the bend, with a sledgehammer
several times, until the aluminum part was straight.  (I originally
tried this without cutting the notches in (2.)  It didn't work.  The
foam absorbed all the impact from the sledgehammer, surprise. )

4.  Reinstalled the cut-out pieces of foam with glued and duct tape.

Other than the duct tape, you'd never know it had been bent.

Rick Gendreau
11472