Re: [DMCForum] Re: Videos

--- therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, because VideoBob does these things for profit,
> that faults him
> over Tamir?

For the specific items that they don't own, Yes.

> Firstly, Tamir does sell products on his site as
> well. And like the
> antennas & LEDs that people complain about, I don't
> see a 500 minute
> phone card for $31 dollars being a good value
> either. And don't
> forget that just like how VB has a video of Pigeon
> Forge, so does
> Tamir sell one of a Eurofest meet. So the "profit"
> aspect is a moot
> point. DVD-R vs. VHS tape doesn't change a thing.

No, not moot.  In my response before, I pointed out
that I was focusing on the content that they do not
own.  Talking about the Pigeon Forge DVD, or Eurofest
is beyond the scope of what I was talking about...
That is, selling content you don't own.

> Just because VB's
> distribution media is an easier/quicker format to
> copy things to,
> doesn't make VB a *bad* person. Especially when both
> do technicly
> sell videos, and other for-profit items on their
> website. Individual
> perceptions of what someone may consider to be "over
> priced" for both
> unrelated items, and videos has nothing to do with
> the videos in
> question.

Again, as far as selling content you don't own "over
priced" was not mentioned.   I tossed that in as part
of the discussion because you were bringing up
unrelated reasons as to why one would "pick on" video
Bob..  Bob has taken lots of heat for the items he
sells, and the markup on them...  But so many people
forgot about the stuff he was selling on ebay a year
ago which he copied from Don Steiger.  Don gives it
away for free, Bob puts it in a copy machine and sells
it on Ebay.

> The difference between Video Bob, and Tamir is their
> distribution
> means. Neither of them own the rights to these
> videos in question.
> Just as you can say that VB is selling DVDs
> containing material that
> he does not own, so could you argue that Tamir is
> using that same
> material for profit on his website. Except for
> instead of selling
> DVDs that directly contain it, he is using these
> free clips to
> attract people to his website, in an effort to drive
> sales of
> products in his online store.

Then why is it I had no idea Tamir was selling
anything?  I spend lots of time on his web site, and
had no idea anything was even for sale!

> Otherwise, I don't see what VideoBob is doing wrong
> with these
> videos. You pay a bit more, and end up getting full
> clips, available
> for viewing on a full TV screen, instead of a
> RealPlayer window. So
> to me, the price he's asking for these videos is
> worth it. But more
> importantly, it's just that you'd be paying VB to do
> the footwork in
> preparing everything for a DVD, that you can keep.

You can buy a copy of "Revenge of the Sith" in China
town today for $5..  Based on your discussion above,
this is OK because if you know where to look you can
get it for FREE...  I say the people distributing it
for free are wrong, the people selling it are 100X
worse.

> So that's worth it
> to me. I don't see a difference in what they're
> doing at all. Just
> because you don't charge for something, doesn't mean
> that circumvents
> the nessesity of gaining the proper owner's
> permission for said
> material.

Legally, yes...  Morally, I disagree.