[DMCForum] Re: dear god this car...

Matt - The pilot bearing (and yes, it is a sealed bearing) is
pressed into the end of the crankshaft until it is flush with the
surface of the crankshaft flange.  It is generally a good idea to
use some Locktite bearing compound on the OD of the bearing to help
it stay in place.  It may have been pressed all the way into the
crankshaft, and you just can't tell that it's there.  Or, somebody
may have installed the tranny last without it.  It will work without
the bearing, but it would allow an aweful lot of deflection of the
input shaft if it were left out.  Not a good thing from a "life of
the moving parts" perspective.  There are a number of ways of
getting an old bearing out ... Bill suggested one way.  I could list
a few others.  I have seen other cars with the bearing omitted.  It
plays havoc on the front bearing and seal of the transmission main
shaft.  Take a very close look in the crankshaft end and make sure
that it isn't just buried way in there.  When putting it back
together, you definitely want to use a new one.  I hope that this
helps.

Toby Peterson

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Matt Spittle" <mds328@xxxx> wrote:
> Please let see someone read this post and answer my question.  I'll
> say it again:
>
> 1.  When I separated my original engine from my transmission, there
> was NO PILOT BEARING/BUSHING ANYWHERE! (hence, the subject line)
>
> 2.  How far is it pressed in?  Until it stops?  Flush with the
outer
> lip of the crank?
>
> thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Sometimes it is an actual bearing and sometimes it is a bushing.
The