[DMCForum] Re: Problem with Fuses

The doors have many sharp edges inside and a lot of wiring. They also
move which causes wear. They take some time and tools to get into (if
you're not used to "door diving").

Try going behind the dash from the passenger side and checking the
stereo wiring and dash harness. Make sure nothing is nicked or melted.
You could try unplugging the radio in-line fuses to see if the short
goes away but it's probably deeper in than that.

If all looks well then something in your doors may have rubbed through
insulation somewhere.

The abbreviated procedure for door-diving is:

1. CAREFULLY remove the upper trim panel and discard the old plastic
Xmas tree clips.
2. Sit sideways in the seat and remove the black plastic trim from
under the door latch.
3. Remove the power mirror switch and unplug it.
4. From left to right, remove the screws along the top of the lower
trim panel.
5. With a long screwdriver or socket extension, remove the two
screws/bolts INSIDE the door, under the latch which hold the grab
handle (and hence lower panel) to the door.
6. CAREFULLY remove the lower panel and discard the clips.

New clips can be purchased at Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They are
listed as for a Ford. Bring an old clip with you as a sample.
You may need a flashlight to see the two screws under the latch that I
referred to.

You can then check all of the wires for fraying or cuts. Don't install
such high-amp fuses in your box. If the fuse doesn't blow you'll have a
messy, expensive meltdown in your harness. Benefit from my past
stupidity.

Rich A.