[DMCForum] Re: Fuel smell

(Finally a slow enough day for me to reply, and catch up on some missed
messages.)

Lots of DeLorean owners consider this normal. But it's really not. The
problem here is every one wants to torque down the clamp that wraps
around the boot, and holds the cap and fuel pump boot in place. As you
start torquing down, the clamp begins to ride up, and will pull the
bottom of the boot away from the tank lip, allowing vapors to vent out,
when the fuel level is high enough to touch it.

The solution: Tighten the clamp only enough to hold the boot and cap
into place. It should only take a few turns to be done. Otherwise, if
you keep wrenching on the clamp trying to torque it down, you won't be
able to. It'll just keep pulling up on the boot until it pops off.

-Robert