Re: [DMCForum] Funny (depending upon you sense of humor) Link.

Re: [DMCForum] Funny (depending upon you sense of humor) Link.

I think this point has been made before, but just for the record:
nitrous oxide (N2O) is nonflammable.  It's used to increase internal
combustion engine horsepower by way of it being a strong oxidizer, i.e.
in the presence of fuel/air it increases the amount of energy available
to the combustion process.

On the other hand, nitrogen dioxide (NO2) is very flammable and is
mainly used to make nitric acid (when combined with water).  This is the
main explosive component in a "fertilizer bomb".

In the Eclipse/Talon pictured, it seems plausible that there was an
unrelated fire in the car, and around the same time, the NOS bottle
ruptured, and the gas caused the fire to burn hotter and more intensely.
  This would explain why the track crew was unable to make a dent in the
fire using fire extinguishers.  However, it does seem a little unlikely
that there would still be N2O left in the car after the first 15 minutes
elapsed... Whatever.

It just bugs me when I see people perpetuating the "explosive NOS" legend.

Regards,
Jon Heese