Re: [DMCForum] 1983 DeLorean on Ebay..

That is what I was referring too. My guess is that most (if not all) 17xxx
Canadian Spec cars were shipped to be sold in the US. Could the vin plate be
riveted on after arriving in the US depending on where they were going?

Of the 10 17xxx cars have seen, none of them has anything weird with the vin
plate. They either had the regular vin plate or had the addition of the
Radio interference plate. Both kinds seem to be centered and there does not
appear to be any modification after they were put in place.

Another weird thing, That extra plate, and all the other stickers, should
have been in French and English for the car to be imported new from the
manufacturer (I was a Customs Inspector at the border). The only thing that
is different on the Canadian Spec cars is:
1 The repositioning of the vin plate with the extra radio interference plate
on top
2. Metric instrument cluster
3 Small exhaust tips.

If they had been built exclusively for Canada they would have not only had
French stickers, but a French owners manual and a certification from the
"Minstery of Transport" (Federal). Again my guess is that all the 17xxx cars
were built and documented to be sold in the US, and some were converted for
Canada when the orders came in.

- Mike
#17084