From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Scott McMullan
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 6:36 AM
To: dmcForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Spring Social... funny stories?

Any time we have our cars out en masse, there are funny things you
overhear people saying, or people come right up and say or ask
something funny.  Here are my favorite two from the spring social...
I'd love to see yours posted too.

- at the car show in Englishtown, a middle-aged latino man was looking
closely at the engine in one of the cars.  I approached him and asked
if he had any questions about the cars.  He told me that he had known
JZD personally, and how they had lived only a short distance away.  He
mentioned the correct street for the former estate, its sale to Trump,
where John moved to, and where and when he died.  He was also very
outspoken about what a nice man John was.  All in all, he seemed a
cery credible bystander... until he started telling me all about the
car factory that as building DeLorean cars in New Jersey.  He thought
it was in bedminster.  When I told him that the only actual DeLorean
factory I knew about was in Ireland, he looked confused, and he
wandered off shortly thereafter.  This one struck me as odd, since he
seemed so credible at the beginning.

- This is my favorite.  At a rest stop on the way home, I was
approached very tentatively by a middle-aged or slightly older woman
with a heavy German accent, asking me what kind of car this was...  (I
was about to answer, but she continued) because it reminded her of the
Mercedes with the doors that opened up.  I gave her the short-short
version, and she asked several questions including how many were being
made.  After I talked about when they were made, she looked very
impressed, and told me how good the car looks (and who was I to
disagree ;-).  It was a very pleasant conversation... but what really
struck me was that this person had never seen or heard of a DeLorean,
but was clearly familiar with the Mercedes... which was so much more
rare.

Overall, I was pleased at the lack of drug comments that reached my
ears (I know some people heard a couple, but I didn't) and the number
of people that knew of JZD's death and had kind things to say about
him.

So... while "funny story" threads are not so rare, I would love to
hear any new ones that came up, especially in relation to the Spring
Social.

  _____