[DMCForum] Re: Looking for Captain Hydrogen

[DMCForum] Re: Looking for Captain Hydrogen

Walt,

Any Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) can be converted to run on
hydrogen and you can do it without considering a stoichiometric
air:fuel ratio.  Instead of considering a traditionally understood
homogeneous charge, consider a stratified charge.  With a stratified
charge, unrestricted unmetered air is allowed into the engine, and
the speed of the engine is controlled by only metering the amount of
directly injected hydrogen used per charge.  Last fall AZ-D had an
event with Stephen Wynne and his wife and I arranged to have a
demonstration of the Stratified Spark Injector by its inventor Roy
McAlister (who is a personal friend and is President of the American
Hydrogen Association).  I think most AZ-D members were more
interested in the DMCH prototype car with the upgraded interior and
were not thinking that gasoline prices would be going up so quickly
making an alternate fuel much more attractive.

Fuel Cell Electric (FCE) is also an option and there are a few
scientific supply companies that can supply you with Proton Exchange
Membrane (PEM) fuel cell / electrolyser "sandwiches" for you to make
your own fuel cell stack.

Some may be asking, what the difference is between an ICE and FCE if
both are using hydrogen as a energy source:  In an ICE, onboard
hydrogen is combined with atmospheric air (which includes polluted
air) and then ignited at 1,080 F and burning closer to 3,000 F which
reduces airborne particulate pollutants into base forms of carbon and
hydrogen.  This means that the air coming out of the exhaust is
cleaner than the air coming into the engine.  Which makes hydrogen
powered ICE negative emissions devices and your automobile can become
an air cleaning device.  Plus, with stratified spark injectors, you
canuse any available combustable fuel incase hydrogen is not
available.  In a FCE, onboard hydrogen is combined with either
atmosphereic or onboard oxygen and combined in a PEM or SPE fuel
cell.  This generates an electrical current, water vapor, and heat.
Because there is no combustion, atmosphereic pollutants are not
reduced.  This would be a zero emissions vehicle.  FCE are more
efficient than ICE.  FCE are silent in operation.  ICE sound like a
regular engine.

Fuel cells are still expensive and engines are cheap.  I suggest we
bring back the gas guzzleing muscle cars, convert them to use
hydrogen, and clean the air faster than other cars can pollute it.

BTW - I calculated an almost 70% increase in fuel economy with a
stratified charge of hydrogen, and the engine performance is similar
to supercharging.  Increase horsepower, increase fuel economy, go
hydrogen.

Ben Ferguson
a.k.a. Captain Hydrogen