Re: [DMCForum] Re: performance engine specifications (Andrew)

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Matt Spittle wrote:

> Can you give an example of a small (less than 3.0L) automobile engine
> that produces maximum torque at 2000 rpm?  Seems amazing to me.

The two engines I'm most familiar with (only the second of which actually
meets your specification):

VW/Audi 1.8T - reaches maximum torque at about 3000 rpm (~150 lb-ft stock,
~250 lb-ft chipped).  If you want to upgrade the turbo, you won't hit
maximum turque until about 3500 rpm, but you'll exceed stock torque before
2000 rpm.

Audi 2.7T - reaches maximum stock torque (~270 lb-ft) at around 1700 rpm,
reaches maximum chipped torque (~375 lb-ft) at around 2300 rpm.  If you
want to upgrade the turbos and a bunch of associated bits (as I've done
with mine--gotta love a four door family sedan that can spank almost every
Ferrari and Porsche made), it'll reach maximum torque (~500 lb-ft) at
about 3400 rpm, but it will exceed stock torque below 2000 rpm.

Seems amazing to you?  It should.  They're damned amazing little engines.

-andrew