Re: [DMCForum] Re: Appeal for a move to a more MODERN FORMAT

Re: [DMCForum] Re: Appeal for a move to a more MODERN FORMAT

Tamir's forum i feel is not the way to go. I have been there for a long
time now. It is mostly young owners or kids that want deloreans. I go
there to shoot the shit with a few friends there and help when i can,
most of the time i point them here or the DML.

Mark V

On Mar 29, 2005, at 10:27 PM, ryanpwright wrote:

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
>> There already are web based DeLorean forums...  Do
>> they not offer the features you talk about below?
>>
>> I have been tempted to join Tamir's forum, but fear
>> having to read yet another list..  Believe it or not,
>> I do have other things going on in my life that are
>> not DeLorean related!  :)
>
> Tamir's forum is exactly what I'm after. But I don't see a lot of
> people there. Quite frankly, I've grown attached to the people here.
> Tamir also has way too many discussion areas. There should just be
> one, for all purpose DeLorean discussion, and maybe another for
> offtopic/religious/whatever. There aren't enough members for what he's
> doing. Yeah, when you have 40,000 users you have to do this, but with
> a few hundred to a thousand or so it's silly.
>
>> If it does not cost you anything Ryan, go ahead and
>> give it a try...  The real test will be if people use
>> it.
>
> Nope. I'm not going to setup yet another DeLorean forum and further
> segregate the community. The only way I'd agree to do it is if another
> forum wanted to shut down and redirect it's members.
>
>> BTW, how are archives handled?  How long are the
>> retained?
>
> As long as the site owner wants. I like "forever".
>
>> and can they be modified or deleted??  One
>> thing I like about the e-mail format is once the
>> message goes out EVERYONE gets a copy... making it
>> hard to go back and change later.
>
> Again, there are mods for phpBB that allow members to subscribe to
> entire forums. Meaning everyone gets a copy of everything that is
> posted, no different than what you're used to here.
>
> Heck, there might even be support for replying via email. So it would
> look just like an email list to you. Not positive on this though.
>
>> Those web based
>> forums usually allow people to edit messages after the
>> fact, which I don't like.
>
> Few things,
>
> 1. That's an option the admin can set. It's simple to disallow.
> 2. phpBB will post a notice saying the message was edited, by whom,
> and the date & time.
> 3. If you're subscribed, you'd get a copy of the message before the
> edit emailed to you anyway.
>
> You know, for crying out loud, if people wanted to strictly keep a
> "mailing list" there are better ways to do it than Yahoo or Google. A
> private list with a spiffy web interface could be setup that would act
> just like this one, but not suck. I'm sure there are plugins somewhere
> for majordomo, etc.
>
> -Ryan
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

click here