[DMCForum] Re: Torsion Bar Issue

Hi Brandon.

Just for the record, I did not suggest that you do this.  I only said
that if MINE broke, I wouldn't trust it unless I tested it.  This
whole welded torsion bar thing is sufficiently iffy that the only
thing I would SUGGEST is "buy a new one".

But by torquing to 125%, I meant, twist it to 105ftlb ( the amount of
torque the bar is normally exposed to when the door is closed, as
measured by a friend and me), plus some arbitrary extra amount, I
picked 25%, just to make sure it's strong enough.  If I welded mine,
and it took a whole lot of cycles of being wound to this value of
130something ftlb and unwound, I'd feel a little better about it.  I
still wouldn't trust it.

Good luck.

Rick.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brandelorean" <brandelorean@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hey Rick,
>
> When you say torque it to 125%, do you mean turn it one full turn
> plus a quarter turn?  Like go from 12 o clock to 1:15?   Funny
> illustrations but it seems the only way to put it.  Well I'm going
> secure the hinge and build a jig like you suggested to test it
out.
> I've got some steel panels I'm going to use to surround the bar as
> torque it.  If it don't work, I'll definitely be looking for a new
> used one etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brandon

click here