[DMCForum] Re: Who maintains delorean-owners.org?

[DMCForum] Re: Who maintains delorean-owners.org?

DOA is short for, "DeLorean Owners Association.

There are many reasons for wanting to revamp the DOA. Their age,
their member base, and their accrued knowlege. All of these things on
their own establish them as a trusted presence to many owners and
enthusists out there. We have to remember that we're a small
minority, compared to all those people who still are not on the
internet, let alone those who acitvely participate in online
functions, such as the DML. So we still have a long ways to go, when
it comes to networking everyone together.

Creating a whole new organization has it's own set of problems. First
off, no one outside of our online groups really know us. And when
this has been tried in the past by other groups that have wanted to
do the same thing, they've just fadded away and fizzled. So there is
a HUGE trust issue there. And frankly I don't blame people. Plus,
there is that certain level of prestige of such an old club, and old
members.

The purpose of taking over the DOA is of course to help network
everyone together. And we could reach a whole new world of unknown
DeLorean owners, and tap into a network of people that have been
isloated from us, because they're not online with us here. We could
reach them, and help unify them with the rest of us, to make their
ownership experience that much better. Because if I beleived half of
what I've read about us that's been published in DW, I wouldn't want
to be associated with people online either.

The idea here is not so much to be a car club that competes with the
regional clubs, nor with those who already publish magazines. We'd be
that umbrella. A hub where DeLorean owners could network together for
social events, information sharing, etc. Lower the membership dues,
and aside from using funds to revamp the sites, we could also kick
some of that cash out of the treasury to help promote the car. Take
out ads in some car magazines, foot the bill for regional clubs that
wish to publicly publish annoucements in these magazines, maybe kick
out a little cash for the DML to see about getting rid of those
damned ads on Yahoo, things like that. Unite owners with
mechanics/volunteers, help organize caravan routes and/or long
distance races. Maybe even arrainge for publicity events, etc.

But, I'd be lying to you, if I said that this was purely for everyone
else. No, I'd take a little bit of pride, and a whole lot of
satisfaction if I could help take the DOA away from people like Ed
Bernstein. In fact, I can safely say that I'd rejoice in it. But
still, that does not change the fact that we would be doing allot of
good, for a whole lotta people...

-Robert

click here