Re: [DMCForum] Re: Trademark

I have mentioned this before on the other forum, but the moderators almost
NEVER let it through.

When James started busting my balls about my auto shifter sticker, he told
me that he might need to take legal actions against me using the "DMC"
letters on the sticker, and that I would first need to have a license
agreement with them.

When I researched the history of the trademark and found it to be abandoned,
I tried to buy it and register it! (how funny would that be?)
I had 3 different patent attorneys working on the project.

The final word came down that I could not buy it because it is dead.
I could however make a new variation of it and register that.
The image that DMCH "owns" is the version with the outside line around the
letters.
This is an "image" of a "logo", not the same as a sequence of letters.
However if all you are using is the plain letters in the similar font, there
is nothing that can be done.
Also, since DMCH does not own the logo, they would never be entitled to
restitution, however if you were also selling DeLorean car parts, using the
logo and calling yourself "DeLorean Motor Company" then they could sue you
(at their own cost) in a case of "market confusion" and could possibly win.

The long and short of it is as my lawyers told me,
"Make want you want, sell as much as you can and if they send you a letter
just ignore it, if they send you a certified letter to appear in court, show
up and say that you will stop, which is all they can make you do, there is
no legal laws being broken"

I know James will disagree with me, but from a copyright issue, which would
be something handled by the federal government, this is not applicable.
It falls into a civil case to be determined by a judge, and must be paid for
by the claimant.

In other words, make all the DMC stuff you want, as long as it is plain
letters with no border.
What I would propose to make everyone happy is that DMCH allow vendors to
use the logos on shirts, mugs, whatever if the vendor will check with DMCH
and see if they approve on the design or use and grant a blessing, this
gives the illusion that they are in control and also lets them participate
in the project, and maybe even serve as a point of purchase where as they
could sell these products in their own store.
I would like to see more DMC merchandise, from different artistic view
points other than their own.
So far I have not been impressed with any of their T-Shirt designs, I would
like to see more.

(I think that PJ Grady's shirt is the best one I have seen yet)

My goal is not to be the DMC pirate, I just wanted a sticker for my auto
shifter and I wanted to offer them to anyone else who needed one since I had
to have a minimum sheet of 100 made.
You will notice that there was one on the raffle car.
If anyone needs one, I will toss one in free with any order.

http://dfwdmc.com/img/shifter1.jpg

- Videobob