[DMCForum] Lee Seilers Models

The story you heard was incorrect.

We suggested that in order to protect the trademark in accordance with
law, Lee should complete a licensing agreement with us for his use of
the logo on the packaging and instructions. We prepared a basic
licensing agreement allowing him to use the logo as he saw fit for the
model project that he could have consummated for the sum of $1.00 - he
never bothered to return the document. I have no idea and won't
speculate why.

For the record, we had keys made because he was unable to meet the
demand. He was making them (one at a time, I think) at his home and just
couldn't deliver them quickly enough. He often talked about how much
effort they were to do and how he wasn't set up for mass production. By
having them made in a signficantly larger quantity than Lee could have
delivered, the price also dropped, as well.

Lee did continue making the models, and the efforts of Ken Montgomery
resulted in I think most of them being delivered. There used to be a
Yahoo Group (ltd_edition) for the people still waiting for their kit,
but it appears to be gone now.

James

Marc wrote:

> The story I hear is he did not complete the models due
> to legal threats from DMCH for trademark usage.
> Considering the guy had been working on the project
> before DMCH claimed ownership of it, and Lee was not
> making a penny, it was pretty awful of him.
>
> Maybe it also had something to do with Lee making
> reproduction keys. When DMCH decided to make their
> own, I guess they did not like the competition.

click here