Re: [DMCForum] Fuel filter

Josh, I agree with everything Joe Obrien said.
Additionally, if you read the better known Bosch books on
K-Jetronic, one of the authors was very particular about
changing the filters every 10K miles.

I have done several filter replacements, so my wisdom is to
not try to remove the bottom elbow fitting from the car.
Leave that fitting attached to the hard fuel line because it
can be a bitch to get off.  And it really doesn't need to
come off.  Just unscrew the filter from the elbow.  You will
need to take the top banjo fitting off first.

Consider using some teflon or better yet some Permatex
Form-A-Gasket on the elbow's threads.  (Either the hardening
or non-hardening variety is good.  My preference is the
non-hardening variety in this situation.)  The connection at
the elbow is very hard to get tight enough to prevent leaks
if you trust the aluminum filter housing to seal against the
steel elbow.

There are two styles of banjo bolts on these filters.  Some
are straight, and some are thicker at the top than at the
bottom.  They have a 'shoulder' for lack of a better word.
In a perfect world using these shouldered bolts, you would
have a larger inner diameter crush washer for the top of the
bolt.  But it really doesn't matter.  The first time I came
across one I used a file to make the washer the correct size
for the wider bolt.  But after that I learned that size
doesn't matter. :-)  Put the washer on there that is
seemingly too small.  Then tighten the bolt.  It will force
its own way thru the washer just fine.

Walt

click here