From: John Dore [mailto:dmcjohn@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 10:51 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: www.delorean.ie updated - frame restoration!

Yes I do!

No-one who is against galvanising can give me an alternative soultion
as to how the enclosed areas (front and rear crossmembers) can be
rustproofed. You can paint POR-15 on the outside of the frame all
day, but you will still have a frame that will inevitably rust from
the inside out. I asked, but got no reply...

There is the weight issue - galvanising might add the weight of a
small child onto the frame, but really, who cares? I'd sooner have a
rustproof slightly slower than stock DeLorean than one whose frame
slowly dissolves into brown dust. Plus, the next job will be to swap
out to a later model EFI 3.0 PRV with over 200bhp, so I don't think
I'll worry about the weight issue then.

On the possibility of warpage of the frame, Rich says he has had a
frame warp, but Ed Uding has done a few, all without warpage. So
there is a chance...
I'm talking to Ed, and will take his advice on the best procedure,
and hope for the best! The frame might warp, but it will be fixable,
and is worth the risk for the amazing benefits...

Any up to date pics of your car around?

Thanks,
John

click here