[DMCForum] Re: A/C question

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683@xxxx> wrote:
> FR12 is garbage, another name is Freeze12 and that is a fake freon
made
> out of propane VERY DANGEROUS.
>
> Maybe thats your problem because the delorean uses R12.
>
> Mark V

Agreed on Freeze-12, and a good reason why I am abandoning R-12.
Yeah, it works, and damn well too. However, short of sealed,
expensive cans, I just don't trust A/C shops to be able to supply me
with a good, clean supply of R-12 Refrigerant. Who knows what other
people have cut Freon with in their cars, when they recover the stuff.

Hydrocarbon refrigerants are amazing in their efficiency, the
friendliness to the enviornment, and their inexpensive cost on
operations/materials. But yes, the flamability factor in them is just
too damn high. So until we can somehow cut them with a dopant to keep
them safe, they're just not an option for the market yet.

R-134a is a good choice, albeit worse to the enviornment as a
greenhouse gas. But has the potential to be just as efficient as R-
12. And it's what I'm going to retrofit my car with in a couple of
months.

1. Flush system..................................$Unknown
2. New compressor & Accumulator..................$260 or so
3. New Goodyear Barrier Hoses....................>$200
4. Variable Orifice Valve........................$30
5. R-134a & Poly Oil.............................>$40

Save for the Condenser & Evaporator, it'll be a brand new system.
According to the EPA's website, all that's needed is a fine tuning of
the high pressure switch to obtain optimal cooling capacity &
compressor efficiency.

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/oneshop.html

And since I know you'll be curious about the VOV Orifice Tube
replacement, here's a link with more details, and links to buy it.
Just remeber, we use the General Motors white tube.

http://www.aircondition.com/vov/

The DeLorean has an EXCEPTIONAL air conditioning system. In fact, my
old DeLorean mechanic (before he retired) was factory trained, and
worked on the cars in the dealership. Not once did they ever have a
single complaint about the A/C, and it actually ran cooler than most
other cars. You've got less area in the passenger compartment to
cool, and no ambient heat from the engine compartment to interfere
with the condenser's cooling ability.

I gave up on trying to fix mine, and will just replace it all. I can
turn the compressor by hand, and hear gases rushing by. And when
metering the system off the dryer, I see 15 PSI with no pressure. But
the damn thing won't engage the compressor for more than a second.
Seeing as how it was exposed for years to the ambient air, fiddled
with by incompetent mechanics, and wore out my patience. I just want
to sell of the freon inside, and start over.

-Robert

click here