[DMCForum] Re: Frame Rust

In all honesty, frame rust isn't all that big a deal with the
DeLorean, as it would be with any other car of the same age.

The biggest areas are going to be:

1. The front pocket around the steering rack.
2. The pocket formed by the rear cross member under the motor.
3. The sides of the rear chassis sides exposed to the rear tires.
4. The front portion of the frame that cradles the gas tank.

The first two areas mentioned, are because they may not have been
properly sprayed by the factory with the epoxy coating. The third area
is a concern, because road debris can be slung up from the tires, and
can chip away at the exposed epoxy.

The final area is a concern, because of spilled brake fluid. Anything
that is spilled while filling the reservoirs for the brake or clutch
master cylinder, or if these master cylinders themselves begin to
leak, will cause fluid to trickle down, and get everywhere. And brake
fluid as you know will eventually cause the epoxy to peel right off
the chassis.

A rusty chassis is not a death sentence for a car. You can of course
replace it, but a stainless chassis isn't the most cost efficient way
to go. If I were to replace a rusty chassis, I'd just recoat it. The
stainless chassis is nice, and there's not doubt that it would
significantly increase the value of a car, but it's not the most cost
efficient solution.

Powdercoating is alright, but you still have to have the entire
chassis baked. And while Don Steger proudly proclaims that he can do
all this, I've heard nothing mentioned of cost.

If it were up to me, Line-X is the route that I'd go.

http://www.goline-x.com/

Line-X is primarily used as a truck bed liner, but has various
commerical grades used from undercoating, all the way to
bomb-proofing. It conforms to all contours of what's beeing sprayed,
it can easily be tinted to a variety of colors, it can be sprayed on
smooth or textured, and most importantly, it is chemicly resistant to
a wide variety of solvents and other petrochemicals.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "alex morgan" <mauibarber@xxxx> wrote:

> I've been reading a lot lately about frame rust and was wondering
how BIG a
> problem this really is.  Would you guys say most DeLoreans need
frame work
> or replacement or is it something seen more back east?  When I had my
> Delorean about 10 years ago (in CA) I never noticed much frame rust.
What
> does a DeLorean service center charge (with parts) to put in a SS frame
> and/or replacement frame?
> -Alex

click here