[DMCForum] Highway Patrol.

--- Farrar wrote:

> I have been saying this for years, but then again,
> we
> can't afford to hire enough officers to ticket
> people
> for "mostly harmless" violations. If the cops
> started
> pulling over everybody who violates the speed limit,
> nobody would be out there fighting violent crime,
> drugs crime, etc.

If this were the case, then there should be no
"highway patrol".

The fact is, tickets generate income.  While I don't
think the average officer will give out tickets
randomly just to make quota, I often wonder why when I
go to court (I always go to court when I get a
ticket), the majority of the traffic violations are
SPEEDING.  Wouldn't it be just as profitable for them
to hand out tickets for littering?  or riding the left
lane?  I seem to never have a problem finding someone
violating these laws, but yet to meet anyone who has
received a ticket for such violations.

> I also contend that police officers who violate the
> law daily (speeding, running red lights without an
> emergency, pretending they don't have turn signals,
> etc.) are ill-equipped to enforce the laws. Law
> enforcement should be respected, but respect is
> earned, and I have yet to see any cop who drives
> respectfully; therefore they get no respect from me.

It is a wide brush... But for the most part my
experience has been the same.  If I had a dime for
every time a police car ran a red light or made an
illegal u-turn with no lights on.  My favorite is when
they turn the lights on to go through the
intersection, then turn them back off.

Maybe if there is an officer on the list, you can
explain if there is a specific reason the perceived
procedure for pulling someone over is to ride 2 inches
from their back bumper at highway speeds?

There is always a cop when you don't want one, but
never when you want one.  :)