[DMCForum] Re: badge engineering...

Yeah, they ain't cheap cars. I'd like to have one myself, but will
probably wait another 5-6 years when they hit their slump in value,
and will pick one up used. Otherwise, I'd use my employer's fleet
purchase option to pick one up now.

I love the look of the new GTO. VERY unassuming looking car. You
won't really notice one until you're up on it. I dig that sleeper
look. Pretty comfortable too. The SEMA show before last, GM had their
new 2005 cars on display for everyone to crawl over. Nice car, and
great decision by Bob Lutz.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> I would like to add the new GTO to that list.  I was sorry to see
the F-body
> go away, but glad to see they decided to do something with the
LS1 / LS2
> engines in the new GTO.
>
> I was out of town, saw one at a dealership, and pulled a U to get a
look at
> it.  I looked at the sticker, then at the car, then back and the
sticker and
> said, "you want me to pay how much? for THIS?"  I was so let down.
>
> Greg

Do
> not collect $200.
>

> Car manufacturers will also do this in order to save money on less
> sucessful car lines as well. Take the "J" body for instance. Been in
> production since the 80's, and gave birth to the Cavalier, Sunfire,
&
> Cimmaron. GM has made their money back on the tooling for these
cars,
> so if they discontinue them, there's no profit loss. Which is what
> they had to do, in order to cover their losses on their other car
> line. The one that birthed dismal sales failures such as the Catera,
> Malibu, Impala, & Chevrolet Classic. Bland, boring cars so bad, that
> GM could only profitably sell them thru fleet sales. And that's not
> saying much.
>
> Now GM has reintroduced these future rattle traps as the "New"
> Cavalier replacement, the Chevy Cobalt. Just as they had to do when
> they migrated tooling from the failed Pontiac Aztek over to build
the
> Buick Rendevouz.
>
> If you want an example of a vehicle that failed when it got badge
> engineered, but because of it's rarity, it's gonna be worth serious
> cash some day, take a look at the Lincoln Blackwood. Those things
are
> gonna be the next "Dodge Dude".
>
> -Robert
>

> --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> > Actually, JZD did mention "badge engineering" when asked about GM
> dropping
> > the Buick name from their line.  He thought it would be a waste to
> get rid
> > of the name when they could stick it on an import or something
else.

> > Even though the Escalade and Navigator are more expensive than the
> vehicles
> > they are based on, quite often the parts used on those vehicles
are
> the same
> > or less expensive to manufacture.  Take a base vehicle, slap on a
> few
> > different items and jack the price up by $10k and people believe
it
> is
> > better.  It is the same vehicle, thus, "badge engineered".
> >
> > Greg

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to

U.S./Canada