From: rmclemns [mailto:rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:16 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] FUEL TANK INNARDS QUESTION

Okay, here's one I haven't seen and maybe someone can help.  '82
Delo, and have the fuel pump out, fuel float out, and the tank is
clean.

While cleaning the tank, I found a wire (about the size of a coat
hangar) extending into the tank about 14 inches.  Tracing the wire
back I found it went up into the fuel filler vent line.  Numerous
attempts to pull it out were unsuccessful and I have yet to
disconnect the vent hose to see what is fastened to.  The wire is
fairly stiff and the end into the tank appears to have a hole in the
end about the size of a sewing pin.

None of the diagrams show this item as being original, so my
question is "why did the PO install this wire, and what is it's
purpose??"

As a side note, the PO definately went inside the fuel tank at one
time because the fuel baffle system was bastardized and broken.
Instead of the normal fuel filter in the tank, he had made a "T"
fitting out of 3/4 plumbing, attached screens to both sides and was
relying on the weight of the whole thing to keep it inside the
baffle.  Also, he used the wrong fuel hoses inside the tank and they
had basically desinagrated into pieces.

Mike