[DMCForum] Re: SUV envy

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel@xxxx> wrote:
> Not to mention those up North who use them 50-75% of the year as a
mode of
> transportation.  I would not be caught dead in a Mini/Pt
Cruiser/Neon etc in
> a North winter.  But all summer long again those are the gas
guzzling waste
> of space.

Yep, but better to waste the gas and the space part of the time than
buy two different vehicles. When the anti-SUV crowd comes out, this is
what I hear: "You should own a different vehicle for every use."
Sorry, but I don't have that kind of money. I can afford a limited
number of vehicles, so I'm sticking with one that is a good all around
(ie, the "Utility" in "SUV") performer.

Some people like being very efficient. They pack light, drive small
cars everywhere, and during the winter they put on chains and just
deal with the hassle. When they want to haul something home they rent
or borrow (or they ask me, since I have a capable vehicle). I'm not
like that. I don't like depending on others so when the snow falls or
the road ends or the purchase needs hauling I flip it into 4x4 and/or
load it up and go.

It is funny, though; the same people who tell me my SUV is a waste
want a ride to work when the roads are covered in snow.

-Ryan