[DMCForum] Re: SUV envy

Chris, sorry if I seem to be picking on you, but you're just going way
out in left field here,

>> While I have a relatively short commute of 15 minutes, it's on
>> busy roads. I saw 30+ SUVs and two of them had 2 occupants. The
>> rest had just a driver only. Not a single loaded cabin, off-road
>> tires, or trailer to be found.

Of course not. These people are driving to work. Why would they have a
full vehicle or be pulling a trailer or hauling a bunch of stuff?

That doesn't mean they don't use their vehicle to it's full potential.
You have no idea what they do with it on evenings and weekends. Or do
you expect everyone to have a different vehicle for any type of
situation? A Metro for work, a truck for hauling, a minivan for
carrying the family... It's senseless when a single SUV can do it all.

That's why people like them. They don't haul as well as a big truck.
They aren't as efficient as a car or a minivan. They might not do
everything perfect, but they do a little bit of it all, and for most
people that's just great. Yeah, during the week you're wasting gas
driving it to work with just you in it, but it's still cheaper than
paying the insurance premiums on another vehicle not to mention the
cost of purchasing another vehicle.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chris Almy <chris.almy@xxxx> wrote:
> Jack,
> As I said in my first message, I was referring to most SUV drivers, not
> all. You are clearly in a minority where you actually use the
utility part
> of the vehicle, where most use it for a status symbol. Since I read
your
> message before I left for work, I decided to do a quick count during my
> commute. While I have a relatively short commute of 15 minutes, it's on
> busy roads. I saw 30+ SUVs and two of them had 2 occupants. The rest
had
> just a driver only. Not a single loaded cabin, off-road tires, or
trailer
> to be found. If all these people were driving cars, I would be at
less risk
> of injury during an accident, have better visibility at
intersections, and
> have an easier time getting in and out of my car in a parking lot.
That is
> why a lot of people in this forum don't like SUVs.
>
> Don't worry, I don't laugh at the kids that drive junkers or poor
people.
> They don't have a choice in what they drive (I remember those days).
I only
> laugh at people who chose to purchased a large SUV and have to suffer
> driving on paved roads. I laugh at them for making one of the worst
choices
> possible for an on-road only driving vehicle.
>
> Chris
>

> At 07:31 AM 2/15/2005 -0500, you wrote:
> >Well as some of you have seen me, you know, but I am 6'5" about 350
Lbs.  I
> >am married and have 2 kids ages 2 ½ and 1.  Add to it my double
strollers,
> >box of toys, and all sundry kid stuff and you have a cluttered cramped
> >mini-van.  If I were of smaller stature I could see using the
mini-van as
> >many people do, but I am a sequoia.  My best fit is a full size SUV
then.
> >So if given the chance to be in comfort, would I chose the Ford
Expedition,
> >Chevy Yukon/Suburban,  etc. or a Hummer?  If I were a single guy I
would be
> >driving my Jag around and have the "D" for nice days.  But I would
not look
> >at single people who own one in disgust, why should I? What do they
do to
> >me?  Why should a person ever care what someone else drives?  I
mean do you
> >also laugh at kids driving beater cars because they are an eyesore?
Do you
> >look at a poor person who can't afford anything more than a 30 year
old boat
> >of a car that can't park it in small parking lots?
> >

> >Plus if it is good enough for CSI Miami and Mr. Deline (James Caan)
in Las