[DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

Born and raised? No. I moved here in early 1996, from Los Angeles. And
thankfully left that economic cesspool behind. But I don't normally
tell people this.

Vegas is an interesting city, because it doesn't have any cultural
bounds. In fact, it's what you make of it. If you want it to be a 24/7
party town, it can be. If you want to live in a conservative
nieghborhood, and raise you children with high morals, you can.

As a community, Vegas isn't as diverse in it's resources, as Los
Angeles. However, LA is only a 3 hour drive away, and flights out of
here are usually pretty reasonable.

Home prices are asinie here, because of all the Californians whove
moved here the last 4 years, after the SoCal disasters. So hopefully,
I'll be able to afford something, once the state provides asistance
for us long-time residents.

Otherwise, Vegas is a really interesting place to live, there are a
couple of other alternatives, but I base them only on housing costs.

I've lived on the north side, the central part of the city, and the
west side, where I'm at now. Each part has it's advantages, and
disadvantages.

North where I was became worse after I moved out. And you can go
farther north, but that's a serious commute. West side is good, but
the drive up the hill has just killed my gas economy. Central was
fantastic! I was in close proximity to everything, and liked the
feeling of an older, more established neighborhood.

Commuting can be a pain in the ass, because Vegas is the melting pot
of America. So you've got midwesterners who slowly merge into traffic,
sharing the road with Californias who slam their brakes, whenever they
see brake lights, with drivers from the east coast, who honk at
everyone else. And this gets worse when the weather turns bad. Oh, and
if you signal to get over, we'll speed up. And if we see non-Nevada
license plates, we'll cut you off on purpose.

Motorsports have taken off here BIG time! We've got "Hot Rod Hill"
down in Henderson, which is taking off, and there is the LVMS complex
up north. That's the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, where they hold NASCAR,
NHRA, dirt track, circle track, and drifting events, as well as car
shows. This wasn't the case a couple of years ago, when we only had 1
speedshop in town. But things are greatly improving, with the others
are opening up.

Once in a blue moon, will I go down to the strip. It's just plain
crowded. And before Binions got bought out, we used to hang out
downtown for the food there. Otherwise, almost every Friday night, me,
and lots of other gearheads are up at the drag strip. Which you can
see here. No, not my proudest moment, buy my most inspirational to get
a more powerful engine...

http://members.cox.net/dmcvegas/delorean2.wmv

Otherwise, I like Vegas just fine. Especially since almost nothing
here closes at night.

-Robert