[DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

Absolutely. And it was with information that both you provided, AND
your father. The IPs originated from Vero. And you once made a post
that your father had restored a 1972 Chevelle. Using the words "1972
Chevelle Vero Beach Restoration". 3rd hit on Google was your father's
car. Once I had your father's name, I just checked that against public
phone records, and got the address.

Yeah, you posting your name did make it much easier, but not impossible.

Now, I share this information with you, so that you can not only
better protect yourself, but so that you yourself can use this
process, incase you ever need to track someone else down. Like in a
legal matter for instance. Your best resource in life is you.

Now, if you want my opinion on this, I can tell you two ways that you
can keep yourself as hidden as possible.

1. It's good to be cautious about you information, but don't go
obviously out off your way to hide it. That just incites others to try
and find it out. The best way to keep yourself hidden, it to just be
as visable as possible. Just be another face in the crowd, and no one
will care.

2. Ditch the land line, and go with cell phones. Cell phones don't
show up on public reocrds, and people won't know the difference if you
give them a cell phone #, when they ask you for a home phone # on a
credit application.

In closing, just relax about all this. The truth in so many blunt
words, no one cares who you are. The only thing we ask when you post,
is just your first name, so we know who you are. There are tons of
people I've never met on the DML, and that I likely never will. But I
tie the reputation of their previous posts in with their name. It's
just for reputation, that's it.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "supremeadmiralsenn"