RE: [DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

RE: [DMCForum] Re: Privacy on the internet.

On a shared newtork, even if you have the physical
(MAC) address which is at the data link layer (2), It
would still be hard to pinpoint the location of the
device on the network.

For the most part, there is a 1:1 relationship between
Layer 2 and Layer 3 (IP and MAC).. So for our purposes
of the privacy discussion, they are pretty much
interchangeable.

--- Dave Stragand <dave.stragand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It has to do with Layer 3 and Layer 2 in
> networking... The IP address is
> layer 3, and is routed differently at layer 2 (the
> DSL or cable).  The only
> way to physically identify the location of an IP
> address in this manner is
> to tap into the ISP's customer records.  There is no
> public database.

<SNIP>