Re: [DMCForum] Opinions on Zinc rich coatings?

Re: [DMCForum] Opinions on Zinc rich coatings?

> Anyone have any experience with Zinc rich coatings, i.e.
cold
> galvanizing as opposed to hot dip galvanizing? Are they
any good?

I restored a '75 Chevy convertible by sandblasting away
rust, spot treating with POR-15, spraying with loads of
Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound (from hardware store
spray cans) and then coating liberally with rubberized
undercoating.  I feel that most of my effort was a waste.  I
was then a teen with little experience.  But I did get my
money back out of the car.  The nice thing was that all the
rubberized undercoat made the car very quiet.  The down side
is that it added a lot of weight (heavy doors on a
convertible).  The sand blasting also warped the body panels
in several places.  I didn't realize this until I put a
glossy paint job on it.  Doh!

If there is any advantage to zinc rich paint, it is that it
has somewhat of an anti-rust property.  This probably isn't
any better than the old red-lead primer.  I suppose that
stuff is still available.  I haven't been into painting in
years.  I understand that the better automotive-grade paints
are full of lead.  It's good stuff if you don't ingest it.

Walt