[DMCForum] Re: Wholesale DeLorean slaughter (Was: Glove Box problems)

[DMCForum] Re: Wholesale DeLorean slaughter (Was: Glove Box problems)

Josh - I have just been reading bits and pieces of the thread
regarding whether you should buy a particular DeLorean (or any
DeLorean, for that matter), and I thought that I would toss in
my "two pence".  When I was 15 years and 9 months old (just getting
a "Learners Permit" for driving) my parents gave me a car.  It was
an old, beat up 1965 GTO that had been raced for several years on
the oval track.  The interior was toast, the engine burned more oil
than gas from several seasons of racing, the automatic transmission
was done, it had no brakes, and the suspension was sagging to the
right from always turning left.  They told me that if I could get it
running and in safe condition, I could have it.  I worked summers on
a farm, so I had a little money stashed away, and was somewhat
mechanically inclined because that is what was required to work on
the farm.  At this point, I was a junior in high school.  I hunkered
down and worked on that beast every chance I got for three months,
while maintaining Honor Roll grades, and drove it on my 16th
birthday.  It wasn't pretty, but it ran, and passed the state
inspections.  It went on to become a stunning example of a 1965 GTO,
and was the fastest street car in Billings, Montana when I sold it
near the end of my college years.  My point in all of this (yes,
there is a point") is that you can accomplish anything that you
REALLY want to accomplish ... IF ... IF ... you have determination,
the will to work, and a big enough dream to carry you through to the
end of the project.  If you have those qualities, then go for it.
If you are lacking in any of those areas, work on yourself BEFORE
you work on a car.  The key is to be brutally honest with yourself
about these qualities and characteristics.  If you lie to yourself,
it will cost you in the long run.  And remember that sanity is not
statistical.  It doesn't matter what "everybody else thinks".  The
only thing that really matters is what YOU think, because that is
the only person that will have to live with your decisions.

PS - I bought my DeLorean on a whim.  Didn't have a clue about them,
but thought that it might be an interesting project.  Didn't have
any contacts with the DeLorean community, no manuals or parts
sources, and this was before Al Gore invented the internet (smile).
What I did have was a decent job and a supportive wife (still do).

Toby Peterson
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nun Yah" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:

When I asked the DML about the car, I was only looking for
> insight about what the majority of the owners did before they
bought their car.

click here