  From: ryanpwright [mailto:yahoo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 11:40 AM
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: CPR education for McCoy (Was: Problems starting)

  Hey Rich,

  I can't help but wonder if this could be contributing to my "glug
  glug" noise (thread posted on the DML). The problem is the car does a
  "glug glug glug" on deceleration. Here's the catch: It doesn't do it
  when the car is first started cold. I get about 60 seconds of driving
  before it starts happening.

  I noticed another issue just the other day as well - The car seems to
  have much more power when it's cold. Once the glug glug starts,
  acceleration is noticably decreased.

  I do NOT have the typical CPR problems. The car starts cold on the
  first try every time and idle doesn't seem rough to me. The engine
  does not cough and sputter on acceleration when cold. In fact it runs
  almost perfectly when cold, the problem starts once it's warm.
  (actually, I hesitate to say that - the problem starts within a minute
  or so of starting a really cold engine - long before the engine is
  what I'd consider to be "warm").

  Is the CPR a possible culprit here? How do I test the thing?

  -Ryan

  --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:

  > Tom,
  >
  > The "CPR" or control pressure regulator provides a constant pressure
  > against the metering plunger in the fuel distributor.
  >
  > As you know, the air/flow meter is like a see-saw. When you push on
  > the pedal, the throttle plates open, vacuum(air flow) sucks the big
  > disc down and pushes metering plunger up. The CPR provides a counter-
  > force pushing the plunger down.
  >
  > The big deal with the CPR is that it has a "warm up" cycle. Inside
  > the thing is a heater element. When the engine is cold, the diaphram
  > is in a different position, providing less counter-force, allowing
  > the plunger to move up more easily, giving the cylinders more fuel.
  > After a couple of minutes the heater in the CPR causes the diaphram
  > to change, increasing the counter-force against the disc, cutting
  > the fuel to the proper amount for a warm engine.
  >
  > There's a little more to it than that, but I'm just giving you the
  > basics.
  >
  > Troubleshooting:
  >
  > If the CPR is clogged or the element is ruined your control pressure
  > could be higher or lower than it's supposed to be during normal
  > operating conditions causing hard-starting, poor fuel economy, loss
  > of power, etc.
  >
  > I've no idea of the history of your car so I can't say if the whole
  > fuel system is shot and needs overhauled or what. Your best
  > investment would be an $80.00 Bosch K-Jetronic fuel pressure test
  > kit from JC Whitney. Properly used, this can save you hundreds of
  > dollars in unnecessary parts purchases from guessing.
  >
  > Rich A.
  >
  > --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thomaspaulmccoy"
  > <thomaspaulmccoy@xxxx> wrote:
  > >
  > > Walt I think you might be on to something.  I couldn't figure out
  > > why the CPR would cause my problem.  Maybe I need a better
  > education
  > > on what a CPR does.  I thought it was a fuel capactor, keeping
  > fuel
  > > pressure constant.
  > >
  > > > You need to better define what you mean by "a while".
  > >
  > > That is technical lingo fo' "I haven't had time to scientifically
  > > study it".  It seems as though trying to restart it anywhere from
  > 20
  > > minutes to 1.5 hours later is futile.  During this period of time
  > > the only solution is pushing the car then popping it in gear.
  > >
  > >
  > > TM (recluse VIN 6921)

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada