[DMCForum] manual / automatic Ds [was: Laughter]

[DMCForum] manual / automatic Ds [was: Laughter]

Joh,

Aye, there's the rub. Willing to learn is one thing.
Getting free lessons is another. I've been willing to
learn for a while, but I learned how to drive on, and
have never owned or rented anything but, an
automatic-shifting vehicle.

As for the difference between manuals and automatics,
I've heard that these days, what with six-speed
automatics versus six-speed manuals, it's all up to
the driver how "peppy" it is (i.e., where the tach is
when you shift). When the DeLorean was made, and it
was a choice between five-speed manual vs. three-speed
automatic, I would definitely have chosen a manual.

That said, I'm not in the market for a D yet, but I
hope that by the time I am I will be able to drive
either. Since I'm not a leadfoot or a jackrabbit,
though, I probably wouldn't notice any difference in
performance -- just the mileage and where it shifts.

I have heard that shifting a DeLorean is pretty easy;
Back when I met him, Louie actually offered to teach
me how to shift in his, but at the time his throttle
was sticking at about 1500 RPM so he drove. I didn't
mind. :)

Farrar