[DMCForum] Re: BUMP - No air blows when on vent, heater, or defrost

[DMCForum] Re: BUMP - No air blows when on vent, heater, or defrost

Joe, Rich, & Elvis,

    Thanks so much for your responses.  I think no one saw my
earlier post because I made it during late afternoon on a Friday.  I
guess people are out living their "real" lives on a Friday evening
rather than sitting on this forum. Hahaha.

Joe, I'm not sure the diaphragm of my mode switch would be my
problem, as I have no hissing when off as you described.  It only
makes a slight hissing noise when changing modes, which is normal,
right?  But if I open it to check the electrical contacts, I'll take
a look at it.

Rich, when I switch to Vent, Heater of Def the fan motor shuts down.
As far as I can tell, no air is coming out of the floor.  My temp
knob does have resistance, so I think the cable is ok.  I'll check
if the heater core is clogged and the valve in the engine
compartment.

Elvis, I bought my car in Houston in the middle of the summer.  The
fan obviously worked because I ran the air conditioning during the
test drive, but checking if the heating worked was the absolute last
thing on my mind.  Summer + Houston = Really Hot Outside
I will definitely take a look at the electrical contacts on the mode
switch.  But what you were saying about Fuse 18, there's nothing
wrong with that fuse, right?  The problem is more likely in the mode
switch, as you said?
Also, I bought all 3 manuals 4 months before I got the car, but I'm
not as mechanically inclined as you.  You're the guy with this
website, right? With the lift in the garage and everything?
(down at the moment)
http://retroserver.no-ip.com/
I used your front speaker replacement how-to.  It was very helpful.

Alright, I'll check out the stuff you guys suggested.

Thanks again,
-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx>
wrote:

> That is exactly the same issue I half to fix on #2524
>
> All my setting worked just fine, but I had a slight hissing on the
> mode switch when off. In my quest to make everything prefect on
the car I had to rebuild the mode switch, but for some reason when I
was doing it the cheap jew in me decided to regrease the old mode
switch diaphram.

> I should have just bought one of grady's new mode switc diaphrams.
> I used petroleum jelly to moisten the disc to rejuvenate it. But
the first time I used TO much. I was paranoid it would dry out soon
> again, and didn't think to consider that ari needs to travel
around those diaphram passages, hence the first rebuild didn't work.
Second time I disasembled it again, wiped a good majority of the
petroleum jelly off, and reassembled it. Everything worked fine, but
it was still kinda "juicy" with jelly.
> Hence I lost the functions of the heater, defrosted & vent, AFTER
I reassembled the whole console area.
> So next year when it warms up I will buy one of Grady's new
hardcore diaphrams, rebuild it correctly, and be done with that
issue.
> Hopefully that will have pointed you in the possible right
direction to diagnose your issue.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cruznmd" <racuti1@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi Derek,
>
> I didn't see your original post. You're my closest sister VIN so I
> would have responded if I had seen it.
>
> When you switch to vent, heat or def does the fan motor keep
working or does it shut down? On heat or def you're not supposed to
get anything out of the console vent and only a whisper out of the
> doors. Check to see if air comes out at the floor in the heat
> position.
>
> Also, with regard to the lack of temperature change, your heater
> core could be clogged or the heater valve in the engine
compartment could be stuck shut. Also, make sure the cable from the
temp knob is attached. Do you have resistance when you operate it?

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>
wrote:

> Derek - even when you had yor car only a day you should be able to
tell us if the fan works or not - when the mode switch is set to
heating.

> Don't make it more complicated as it is.
>
> If the fan doesn't run - I bet the electrical contacts inside the
> switch may have a problem.
>
> Also - within 4 months you should already have the manual and a
> schematic of the car and with that you could see, that the mode
switch position 90 is fed by fuse 18. Then the mode switch feeds the
fan speed switch. So if the fan works on A/C, then the problem must
be inside the mode switch.
> Simple, isn't it ?
>
> I visited NASA last week, maybe I am on a high-tech trip now ? LOL
>
> Elvis & 6548 sleeping

click here