[DMCForum] Re: old member new owner

When you ask questions like this, you'd better have a strong stomach
for constructive criticism.

Having been on the list for a long time, I hope you've learned
something (in between the political infighting posts) on what to
look for when buying one of these things. I mean you did examine the
car, or have an owner nearby do it for you right???

6K? Well let's see. I paid 7K for mine and I had a hacked up wiring
harness, blown headgaskets, a rotted front frame, the fuel system
was totally ruined, the stereo was a non-event. The windshield was
cracked, the tires were dry-rotted, every single rotating electrical
motor was a siezed up metal rock (alternator, fuel pump, idle
regulator, blower motor). The door handles were broken and the
windows didn't work. The A/C system was empty. The seats were
rotted. The gauges didn't work. Siezed up brakes. (I'll stop here) I
was totally taken for a ride by the seller because I didn't do my
homework and I paid dearly for it.

Yours is painted. Often that indicates body damage that the owner
didn't want to fix so it's Bondo'd and painted. No big deal if you
like the color. Depending on how much money and mechanical skill you
have, if the frame isn't rusted out and the fiberglass underbody is
ok, then all that crap I listed above can be fixed. In my opinion
(which varies in worth depending on who you talk to), if you have a
solid foundation (frame), the mechanical stuff can be replaced or
repaired.

The only thing I can say for certain is this: If you think you're
going to buy a DeLorean for 6k and drive it anywhere, you're
dreaming. To even speak of the stereo at this point is absurd. You
either buy a turn-key car for $15-20k, or rebuild one starting at $4-
7k and pour your life into it because you love it.

Rich A.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nun Yah" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:

> I have been a member of this list for some time now, but not an
owner
> of a DMC-12, until this week. I am about to buy a 81 for 6k.
What's
> the catch? It's painted red, it's got a blown head gasket, it's
got
> the eyebrow effect but I think that is all of the stuff that is
wrong
> with it.. or at least I hope it is. Well I guess that I'll find
out.
> I was wondering how hard is it to install a sound system in a
> DeLorean? -Josh

click here