[DMCForum] Re: clutches was: Slow..

Best way to rinse off brake pads that might have got some brake
fluid on them is to burn it out. Spray the pads with pure alsohol,
and hit them with a torch, (keep the alcohol away from the torch!)
The fluid will burn off, cook em till they are almost red, sok em
again and burn em again. All brake fluid will be removed, and any
contaminants will be gone.

In case you ever got a new set of pads wet with fluid.

Please, just don't kill yourself doing this though.

Joe

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> > I don't know
> > of any way to get the fluid off the flywheel, short of
> taking it apart,
>
> I suppose it is possible that fluid could get on the clutch
> surfaces, but I do not know if it is likely (particularly on
> a DeLorean) as I don't have that much experience with
> transmissions.  A 'proper vendor' would know. ;-)
>
> From my knowledge about working on brakes:  Once fluid gets
> on the brake pads, they tend to be porous and soak the fluid
> up.  So rinsing them off probably would not work well.
> Clutches would be a similar situation.
>
> > Does the De Lorean
> > transmission have a clutch inspection plate?
>
> Not really.  There are some holes you could use to get a
> peek in there, but I don't think you would see anything
> conclusive.  There are 3 cover plates where the tranny meets
> the engine, but those are dust shields, and removing them
> wouldn't allow you to see anything useful.  I hear it is
> popular for lazy mechanics to leave some of the plates off
> because they are difficult to put back correctly.
>
> Walt

click here