RE: [DMCForum] 17000 Vins

Copied from the other list...

>> Is it a coincidence that the winning car happen to be one
>> restored by DMCH?  I believe this car later sold for a
>> lot of money, so there is a more at stake in this
>> competition than a trophy.
>
>5.75 points separated the top three finishers in the 2000 event, so it
>shows that details matter. Questioning the outcome impugns the
>credibility of the judges (Mike Substelny, Knut Grimsrud, Bill
>Swilley, Ken Montgomery, Patti Substelny and Marty Maier) and deserves
>an apology.

It may or may not impugn the judges, but it can definitely cause questions
to arise.  Long, long ago I competed in some audio sound-off competitions
and any time the winning car was built by the show sponsoring company, it
came into question.  The system specification sheet placed on the car for
public viewing listed who built it.  Obviously an employee's car was never
allowed to compete but often there wasn't much difference, if any, between
the employee's car and the one they built for the customer.  These
competition cars were referred to as "check book" cars and few people had
any real respect for them.

There were a few employees who would build their friend's car like they
would their own and let their friend compete with the car.  They knew all
the tips and tricks so it was very easy for them to win.  Most often this
was done to build the designer's reputation.  I think Marc is asking a
completely valid question, and was not necessarily questioning the motives
of the judges.  I wonder if the winning car was known to have been restored
by DMCH when the judging began?

I remember reading not too long ago about a Mustang, I believe.  The owner
was able to show that the car came from the factory with certain details,
and the rules for judging those cars was changed based on this new
information.  If Tom's car came from the factory with that muffler then he
should not lose points for an "incorrect muffler."

Greg

click here