Re: [DMCForum] HDs OFF-TOPIC

(Sorry for the off topic stuff, but for once I can help out!)
Hey Martin,

Perhaps I can help out- from the description you gave of your hard
drives, you have a Ultra2-SCSI (I call it SCSI-2) drive- 1 connector
running both power and data. Great for hot-swap backplanes. SCSI-3
(UltraWide, LVD, blah blah blah..) has seperate connectors for power and
data, where SCSI-1 looked like a fat IDE connector. For a reference,
look up an IBM Ultrastar model # DDYS-T18350 and check out it's plugs-
that should be what your Adaptec wants to plug into. Adaptors do exist
for those SCSI-2 plugs (UltraWide3/LVD with separate power and data
plugs TO that single SCSI-2 connector on the HD)- several of my
customers have such setups in their older servers.

In regards to other hard drive connectors, there is also Serial ATA.
That plug looks kind've like a small USB plug except everything is
plastic. All other types of connectors/interfaces would be considered a
history lesson.

Flavia- I would guess 2 possiblities to explain the Gateway's lack of
imagination when it comes to large hard drives- 1) the computer can't do
the math to see 80 gigs or 2) the hard drive controller is too fast
(ATA-66, ATA 100, etc..) for the gateway. I would be on reason #1 first.
Also, keep your eye on that 12gig Quantum drive- I see a lot of those
drives of that era crap out in an instant due to a chip failure on the
controller (it's pretty cool- you can see a little singed trail on one
of the chips going from the center of the chip to the outside!). I try
to replace those drives as a precaution because I've seen a lot of them
go the exact same way.

<sigh> This is what happens when you lend your DeLorean's battery to a
friend in need.. I need to get out and drive!

Hope this helps you two,

Eric Itzel
vin 4433
eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>