[DMCForum] Re: Canada; I may be wrong.

FYI - I worked as a Customs officer on the border between Buffalo NY
and Ft Erie Ontario for about 12 years (Canadian side). In that time
we were considered "primary immigration officers" and therefore
needed intimate knowledge on Canadian immigration law.

As far as Canada is concerned, there is no restriction on holding
Canadian citizenship regardless of which country or countries that
person is also a citizen of.  Under US law, an oath is required for
all new US citizens, part of which specifically mentions abandoning
all allegiances to other countries. Canada's attitude is
of "multiculturism" instead of a "melting pot". There is no
requirement to abandon allegiances to other countries when becoming
a Canadian citizen.

I should mention that this came into effect in 1977 with a new
Immigration Act. Prior to Feb of that year the law was much stricter
and it was even possible for someone to be born in Canada, a
Canadian citizen, and if they moved to the US and took out US
citizenship they would loose their Canadian citizenship. This is no
longer the case.

Of course the normal immigration process of applying, selection and
screening is still required to immigrate to Canada. Unless.....just
claim to be a refugee, you will receive a welfare check with in 1
week, admitted to Canada, and will face an refugee tribunal in 2 to
5 years. I don't think anyone has successfully immigrated to Canada
from the US this way.

Normal immigration procedures are best researched with the Canadian
embassy or through an immigration lawyer. It usually starts with
temporary admittance as a visitor. If you are qualified for
employment in which there is insufficient Canadian candidates then
you may get a work visa. You may also apply as an immigrant but will
have to go though a scoring system which takes into account family
relationships in Canada, type of employment being sought, if self
employed - how much $ you are willing to invest in a Canadian
business. The majority of immigrants come in basing their
application on family relationships. After becoming a "landed
immigrant", sometimes called a "permanent resident" (exactly like
a "resident alien" or green card) for 5 years the person can apply
for Canadian citizenship. Once a Canadian citizen, the only 2 ways
to loose it is to either lie on your application or to have a lawyer
file paperwork to revoke it. Even if you move back to the US (or
anywhere else) you will still and always hold Canadian citizenship.

Mike Walsh
#17084 - eh!