[DMCForum] Re: Clicking noise with A/C - thanks

[DMCForum] Re: Clicking noise with A/C - thanks

Walt and Rich, thanks for your responses.  I drove the car on
Tuesday, but it was cold enough outside that I didn't need to turn on
the A/C at all.  It confirmed that with the A/C off, there was no
clicking sound whatsoever, so that made me happy, knowing nothing
else is wrong.   Well I guess it seems I'm low on refrigerant.  Which
sucks, because my car still has the expensive (or so I hear) R12 in
it.  Also, it's a bummer if it's leaking, because my car was
refurbished 4 years ago by DMCH.  (The previous owner is the one who
bought it that way in 2000).
The ad from DMCH reads:  "The air conditioning was completely
overhauled with the correct R-12 Freon, with a new compressor, hoses
and accumulator fitted."
So I would think it's still leak free with all that nice work done to
it.  Oh well, I think I may leave it alone until the spring, because
I probably won't be needing A/C until then.  Walt, I don't have a
manifold gauge, heck, I didn't even know what it was until I just
looked it up.  Now I know.  It would be handy to just pop it on there
and test my pressure.   About the cycling times, granted, it is
cooler now than in July, but I'm talking about a difference of 85-90
degrees to now 60-65 degrees.  Is that enough to make the clicking
intervals go from 40 to 5 seconds?  (I assume most people would not
run the A/C when it's less than 60 degrees outside, so 60 degrees is
probably the low end of the cycling-time scale?)
Oh yeah, and my "otterstadt" still works fine, the cooling fans came
on at the end of my trip when the car was sitting idling, waiting for
me to take my time in opening the garage door.  :)

-Derek L
VIN 5302

click here