From: mike clemens [mailto:rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:29 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DMCForum] stainless cleaner

Lauren,

This is not meant to be a wiseass comment---I have a
damaged Delo door that was "peed" upon, (not by me)
and guess what, the dented parts are fine, but the
scratched areas are rusting.  I realize this is not a
scientific study, but, it verifies what I have always
heard, SS rusts if scratched.

If someone knows any other reason why it would rust,
only in the scratches, I would be appreciative of an
explanation.

Mike

--- Lauren <LPLand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe I'm all wrong, it's certainly been a while
> since I took
> Chemistry, but the components of the alloy are
> bonded in such a
> way that a surface scratch (or even a deep one)
> would still cut down
> to a consistent  pattern of elements  no different
> inside than on top.
> ..................LP
> >
> > I hope I remember this correctly, and anyone
> please feel free to
> > correct this as it has been awhile since my
> material science classes.
> >
> > Stainless steel contains Chromium, and I believe
> SS304 is at least 12%
> > Cr. When the surface is scratched, the Cr reacts
> with oxygen faster
> > than the steel, creating the protective layer of
> Chromium Oxide CrO3.
> >
> > Greg

click here