Re: [DMCForum] winter storage was: bttf reference in the movie "sneaker

Re: [DMCForum] winter storage was: bttf reference in the movie "sneakers"....

> Thanks again to everyone at the Pittsburgh tech day and to
Walt for working
36 hours straight this past summer to fix my a/c. I use it
even in the winter
to get my moneys worth out of it :-)

Cool. (aircon pun intended).  Remember that it is a good
idea to run the compressor for 10 to 20 seconds every week
or two.  This keeps oil on the compressor seal.  If it sits
stagnant then the pressurized refrigerant will tend to push
the oil out of it.  Then when dry, the refrigerant leaks out
much quicker.  Some newer cars are made to automatically
cycle the compressor for several seconds when the car is
started to keep the seal oiled.  It means fewer warranty
repairs for cars where the owners rarely use the aircon.

Also speaking of winter storage, it is bad to store the car
with moisture on the evaporator.  If the car is going to sit
for any length of time, be sure to run the system on HEATER
or VENT with the blower on high for several minutes to get
the evaporator dried off.  Otherwise mold may grow and the
metal parts may corrode.

Walt

click here