[DMCForum] Re: Heater...

Also - pull the rubber hoses off of the metal. There are four places
where this happens, 2 of these locations are at the front passenger
wheel, the other two are at the rear passenger side under the
removable sheetmetal plate thing. (Careful, there are also A/C lines
running here - don't open those!)

Once you have the rubber hoses off, check for restrictions. I had
deposits formed at each end of both supply & return metal heater core
lines that were acting as "caps" - I didn't even notice them the first
time I had the hoses off. For some reason I ended up pulling them off
again and while feeling around in there, felt that the pipe seemed
rather solid, instead of hollow. I used a piece of wire to break up
the debris and a blast of air at 90psi to clean the pipes out. Careful
here that you don't vaporize the old nasty coolant here. I'd go with a
less intensive burst of air to get the coolant out intact, then hit it
with 90psi to get the remaining gunk out.

-Ryan

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> Misha, now that you have felt the pipes running along the
> frame and feel that they are not getting hot, this tells you
> that little or no coolant is circulating there.  Next is to
> find out why.  Like Johnny said, you could have a plugged
> heater core.  Other things to check for:
>
> See if a previous owner bypassed your heater core.  If it
> was leaking, they might have just capped off the hoses going
> to it.  This could have been done at the heater core or
> closer to the engine.
>
> Look for a kinked or crushed tube or hose.  This could be
> one of the aluminum lines running along the frame, one of
> the brass lines on the heater core or one of the rubber
> hoses.
>
> Check that the heater valve is working properly.  This is a
> vacuum actuated valve in front of the engine (next to &
> under the ignition coil in the engine compartment).  If it
> has a problem, most likely it is stuck shut.  This valve
> should only close when the mode switch is on MAX.  It sends
> a vacuum signal to the valve causing it to close.
>
> Consider that maybe you have some hoses routed the wrong
> way.  Since you recently replaced your water pump you are
> more familiar with where the hoses go.
>
> Walt

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to