[DMCForum] Why? (For Marc)

Marc said:

"Why is it because the masses agree with a particular
religious moral or practice, then therefore the rest
of us have to live with it?? It is bad enough I have
to listen to religious hymms for the entire months of
November and December, why do Christian "things" have
to be imposed by law?"

It is known as "majority rule". The United States been this way since
it's inception. Over time as our society and culture evolve, the
majority of our population's beliefs shifted to decide that it is
improper to enslave fellow men, that it is wrong to prevent them from
voting, from marrying people of different colors and cultures, that
it is wrong to prevent a woman from making decisions about her own
body. Currently, the majority of our population agrees that the death
penalty is acceptable for some crimes, that homosexuality is
(whatever it's root cause) unnatural, or an aberration and that these
people are not entitled to the same NON-BASIC rights as other
Americans. By non-basic, I mean other-than-basic-human rights such as
food, shelter, clothing.

As far as your "religion" goes, which requires breasts on TV etc,
yours (and anyone else's) right to practice their religion ends when
it harms other people. I, nor any court in this land would believe
that you are permanently or even temporarily harmed by being exposed
to hymns during Christian holiday periods. In fact, you can not even
prove to me that you are -forcibly- exposed to Christian holiday
music. Freedom of speech does not include yelling "fire" in a crowded
movie theater. This is a basic example that has been used for
generations in basic civics classes.

I am speaking from a completely neutral point of view here. I'm not
endorsing religion, abortion, alternative lifestyles or an absence
thereof. I am simply explaining why things are the way they are.

It's very simple Marc, if the majority of this nation voted that
incest, homosexuality or beastiality were no longer crimes
because "what you do in your bedroom is your business", if all of a
sudden human slavery came back in vogue, I would simply move to
another nation whose values and direction were more closely aligned
with my own.

Our nation has decided that nothing is "wrong", only "different" and
that nothing should be criticized or judged. As a result, people now
live by the "if it feels good, do it" code. Selfish, whining,
indulgent, corrupt.

I want all you liberals to answer a question for me, that I honestly
can't seem to resolve:

If two men or women, love each other, and engage in sexual acts which
are unnatural (meaning for pleasure and not for the purpose of
perpetuating the species) and they aren't hurting anyone, why is it
not acceptable for a man to teach his daughter that it is ok, or
perhaps even a privilage for her to love him and pleasure him if she
agrees and isn't forced and isn't injured? Why is it not acceptable
for a man to engage in acts with an animal if the animal isn't forced?

Is all of that acceptable simply because "it's in their bedroom and
they aren't hurting anyone"? Where do we draw the line as a society
and WHY?

And for all of you amatuer-historians out there who said past, great
empires fell because religion gained a foothold you have it bass-
ackwards:

Rome fell because they completely abandoned moral behavior, became
corrupt and decadent. Homosexuality, beastiality and a general
disrespect for life were rampant and public when the empire fell. It
has nothing to do with "religion" or "faith", simply a respect for
morals, ethics and life.

And as always, before you accuse me of being a Republican lick-
spittle, or a religious zealot:

I voted for Gore in '00 and I haven't been to church in almost a
decade. It makes me sick to my stomach that I can't be more mature
than this and stay out of this pointless, circular arguement.

click here